HISTORY OF THE MANOR
SEDGLEY OLD NEWS
These articles by Trevor Genge were first published in 'Scene' the quarterly magazine of St. Andrew's Church, [United Reformed & Methodist], Bilston Street, Sedgley.
They are based on Nayler's book "Sedgley Sundries".
THE SEDGLEY SENTINEL
In 1989 the Society published its own magazine - The Sedgley Sentinel. Only two issues appeared before the demands of organisation and deadlines proved too difficult to meet. The pages were packed with comments, illustrations and features. A flavour of their contents can be gleaned from following the link below:
Contains a once locally famous poem about Sedgley pubs, and articles on toll roads and the demise of local landmarks.
The Society is printing an occasional news-sheet cribbing part of a title from a weekly Victorian newspaper. The news is new even if the name is old.
Note this document is a PDF download: to read PDFs you will need Adobe Reader - reliable, safe, and available free from Adobe at this site.
Sedgley's claim to national fame - the invention of the steel pen nib c.1800
The C20th saw dramatic changes in the manufacturing base of Sedgley, Coseley and the Gornals. This compilation of firms and their products is a stark reminder of our industrial past and makes sober reading.
Alan Brookes remembers the family run firm as it developed to become Brookes & Sons [Engineers] Limited with premises on the east side of Gospel End Street in Sedgley.
Two pioneers of iron smelting were born in Woodsetton. Carl Higgs traces their family trees and reaches a remarkable conclusion.