In the late 1930s the threat of war led to strengthening local fire services through the formation of the national Auxiliary Fire Service , a forerunner of the National Fire Service . Sedgley played its part housing and manning appliances to cover Black Country industrial targets. In peacetime this provision continued to serve the district.
A sub-fire station manned at night and during weekends was provided by Staffordshire County Council from 1948 at The Limes, Dudley Road. A purpose built replacement on Tipton Road was officially opened in January 1972 to house two engines and provide a training area with tower.
It was the only retained [part-time manning] station in the West Midlands Fire Service and operated with second-hand appliances until receiving a brand new one in 2005. A successful campaign in 1998/99 prevented closure, but a more vociferous outcry in 2008 was defeated although the station had not functioned properly for twelve months. The doors finally closed in November 2008 bringing to an end a local fire service started before World War Two.
In 2011 the fate of Sedgley Community Fire station rests on a planning application that will lead to demolition and a housing development. A station two miles away on Burton Road now provides fire cover for this part of Dudley.
The upper photograph, taken in August 2000, shows the station [Sedgley D3] in pristine condition along with hanging baskets. On the right the training tower can be glimpsed. The left-hand engine, a Dennis Sabre, was later transferred to Dublin Fire Brigade.
Richard Hickman, a member of the Fire Brigade Society, has helped SLHS with additional details and provided the lower rear view photograph.