The High Holborn pub closed in 2006 and was put up for sale in May 2008. The building has a certain amount of protection as it is locally listed and situated in Sedgley’s All Saints conservation area, but future use is more problematic.

The toll road to Tipton was opened in 1843 suggesting the Gornal stone property dates from the 1830s/40s. It was most likely named after George Stephenson’s Grand Junction Railway [opened in 1837].

Although inside is much changed, externally it is interesting with ‘blind’ windows constructed to avoid a window tax lasting until 1851. One cunningly designed vertical window, overlooking Tipton Street, allowed light downstairs and upstairs – two for the price of one!

Sedgley’s last tram left from the Junction on November 6th 1926 for a journey to the Struggling Man pub in Dudley. This marked the end of an era started with horse drawn double-deckers in 1882.

The Junction’s location at the meeting of the Tipton road with the main Wolverhampton/Dudley road and a few steps away from a tram stop, [later two bus stops], made the bar a natural meeting place. However, lack of car parking and room to expand have left the pub under developed in recent years and custom has drifted away. Last orders may have been called.

The Grand Junction - front
The Grand Junction - windows