A careful look at the rectangular stone tablet above the porch on the front of the building reveals the lettering ‘Primitive Methodist Chapel, Erected AD1857', although the first word is nearly obliterated. [Officially the Prims came to an end in 1932 with the merging of Wesleyan, Primitive and United branches of Methodism].
Tipton Street replaced the Gospel End Street chapel of 1821 which was the first purpose built Primitive Methodist meeting place in the Manor. This original chapel still exists, now converted into two houses.
The land for the new chapel was provided by George Church with his wife Hannah helping to raise funds for the building work. The site was further developed in 1881 with the addition of a separate Sunday school at the rear.
The interior of the church is dominated by a memorial window erected in 1940 to George Church and his wife. Among the other memorials is a marble tablet to their son, also George, a well respected local preacher who died at the early age of forty four.
In the late 1950s the east facing side wall was externally buttressed to prevent possible collapse, but by the end of the century the building was declared unsafe and services moved to the Sunday school.
In April 2000 the church was put up for sale. However, the whole site, with burial ground, is Grade ll listed and redevelopment costs will be high. The purchase is under offer.
The top photograph, taken in September 2003, shows the front of the closed and unsafe church. The second view, from September 2003, shows the Sunday School which is now the place of worship. The third view, from August 2003, shows the memorial window. Lastly, from August 2003, the pulpit and 1906 pipe organ.