NEWS (October 2021): 2021 Barnett-Genge Lecture: The Red House Glass Cone / Summer Teaser

The Red House Glass Cone

The sixth Andrew Barnett & Trevor Genge Memorial Lecture takes place on Thursday 14th October at 7:30 pm in St. Andrew's Church, Bilston Street, Sedgley. The speaker is Kate Round, an outreach presenter and tour guide for Dudley Museum Service.

Kate will be giving an insight into the glassmaking industry and the history of the cone, now one of only four left standing in the country.

This is the inside story of the history and heritage of Stourbridge's Crystal Mile.

This is our first meeting for over eighteen months. To maintain Covid safety ALL attendees are asked to pay £2 – exact amount appreciated. Wearing a mask is a personal choice.

[Schoolteachers, Andrew Barnett and Trevor Genge were co-founders of the Society in 1984. Andrew launched the Sedgley Local History Museum (closed 2004) and Trevor published five books on the Sedgley Manor villages. Both were avid researchers and staunch supporters of conservation projects.]

2021 – Summer Teaser Answer

Sandwiched between front and rear changes the original building can be picked out. In its heyday what purpose did it serve?

Coseley's first cinema was opened in Ivy House Lane in March 1913. Originally called Coseley Picture Palace, later Coseley Picture House and finally The Cosy. Locally it was well known as "Page's" or "Peckers" after the owner, William Page. The last film was shown in the late 1950s and in May 1961 Coseley Ex-Servicemen's Club was opened in a much changed building.

2021 Summer Teaser