Origin of Name
This name is quite common with derivations like Gospel Oak, Gospel Place and Gospel Tree found throughout England. They all mark a place on a parish boundary. Here, during Rogationtide, [the three days leading up to Ascension Day], a passage from the gospels would be read aloud. The ‘beating the bounds’ procession could include the vicar, choir, churchwardens and local dignitaries. These ‘perambulations’ were mentioned in church records over 1000 years ago.
Gospel End village marks a point on the western boundary of the original Parish of Sedgley. It would have been a stopping place for the ceremony described above. Before proper maps were drawn the event would help to establish the limits of the Manor of Sedgley.
The route from Gospel End to Sedgley was shown on maps over 200 years ago, while the village was marked on maps over 300 years ago. The 1871 Census recorded a population of 368.
In Fir Street the Wesleyans built a small chapel in the 1840s for their followers. It could hold around 120 people. In the 1930s a Baptist denomination replaced the Methodists. Today it is a private residence.
The mission church of St. Barnabas, at the junction of Gospel End Road and Penn Road, was built in the 1890s as a place of worship for the thriving local community. This removed the necessity to travel to the mother church of All Saints. Today it is a private residence.
The 1966 local government reorganisation 'moved' the village from the control of Sedgley Urban District Council to South Staffordshire Council.