In January 1991, the buildings occupied by Mount Pleasant Primary, until July 1986, were demolished. These splendid Edwardian additions to the site, still etched with their original names, echoed to children's voices for over eighty years.
Cookery Centre - chimney bearing '1903' plaque © Beryl Wilkes
Cookery Centre - stonework above entrance carved 'Cookery Centre' © Beryl Wilkes
Girls School - stonework above entrance carved 'Girls School' © Beryl Wilkes
Note the bell tower
Girls School - rear view © Beryl Wilkes
The main building cleverly disguised the sloping playground
Cookery Centre - Sedgley School Board foundation stone © Beryl Wilkes
A piece of history - lost for ever?
Some of the letters are difficult to read. The best interpretation is set out below.
Stephen Wilkes Esq. J.P. C.C. Chairman
Rev W. Spencer M.A. Vice-Chairman
Mr John T. Homer C.C.       Mr W. H. Rolinson
Mr Peter Pugh       Rev H. Eachus
Mr G. W. Summers       Mr W.P.? Hipkins
Mr A. H. Pearcey       Rev F. W. Job?
Mr Joseph Brown
Mr A.E. Greenway    Clerk
At the time Stephen Wilkes and John T. Homer were County Councillors; Rev W. Spencer was the Vicar at Christ Church and Rev. Henry Eachus was the Minister at the Old Meeting House.
Alfred H. Pearcey was the Chairman of Sedgley Urban District Council from 1913 to 1915.
A description of the history, and photographs, of the Mount Pleasant Schools can be found here.